Wednesday, April 15, 2009

How did I even get here

Being a doctor is not always something that I've wanted to do. I grew up wanting to own a business. I can say that I've owned two. Both showed strong revenue and promising profits. However, I left them behind for various reasons.

I graduated high school with a 2.07 GPA. It's embarrassing and pathetic. I'm not quite sure why I got that GPA. It was probably the laziness and lack of motivation. It wasn't until I was a senior in high school that I discovered I wanted to be a doctor. Unfortunately, it's not a neat or entertaining story. However, I will share it anyway...

I had a basic surgery on my foot that was due to an old sports injury. The bone was broken and would never heal on its own. So, they took it out. Up until this point, I had never had surgery. I think it goes without saying that I was pretty scared. My fear wasn't that I would die or lose my foot. It was that I would wake up in the middle of the surgery and be aware of what was going on. I didn't want that. It sounded terrifying.

My anesthesiologist walked in and gave me the run down on the procedure. Long story short, he sucked. He told me I might wake up. At this point, I was flipping out. The surgery went fine and there were no complications.

However, as I healed from surgery, I began thinking about that doctor, the anesthesiologist. I remember thinking that I could do much better than him. I went in there terrified and he told me exactly what I didn't want to hear. So, I began researching jobs in medicine, specifically anesthesia. I thought I could do better than him. I wanted to do better than him. I knew what is was like to be scared and I hated it. I thought to myself, "I want to ease a patient's fear; to ease their pain".

That's how it all started. It should be noted that the above is rather vague. I had toyed with being a doctor as a child but never took it seriously. It appears that I fell into this choice quickly but I really did take the time and decide. I had always been the "go to" person with problems. My close friends and family will disagree with this because they never saw that side of me. I did my best to hide it. I typically "helped" people who were acquaintances or classmates. I usually always went out of my way to help. I frequently put their welfare ahead of mine. I never really expected anything in return other than a thank you or their appreciation. I never regretted doing that. It was just the way I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment